Category Archives: ethics
A week or two ago I was thinking about thinking.There is more than one kind of thinking.Some kinds,like rumination, are often self destructive.Other kinds of thinking can turn one outside of one’s self and can become what I call “thoughtfulness”.And that is a a virtue.It combines awareness and caring towards others with standing back and considering what is best for them and ourselves.
Then there is what we might call ” blind thinking” which is totally self centred like the chattering voices in our head
I want that red dress,he’s nasty,I am fed up being at work. so long…………all going on underneath our consciousness much of the time.We may be unaware of it but it can affect us and how we act towards others.It’s childish,turned inwards and trivial.Can we stop it? I am thinking about that,,, not brooding.I mean,my mind is open and I hope some new ideas will come to help me understand this blind thinking
How can we see and not be blind in our thinking?How can we be wise?
- Thoughtfulness:Some reflections (complexnumberblog.wordpress.com)
- Thinking about thoughts (and why it’s good to cry) (rootswingsprettythings.wordpress.com)
- Thinking about what is called thinking [Heidegger] (complexnumberblog.wordpress.com)
- Thoughts Have Consequences (robertringer.com)
- Wisdom (nhooseinny.wordpress.com)
- Listen to Your Inner Wisdom (quinncreative.wordpress.com)
- Pondering Proverbs (kittyjonesblog.wordpress.com)
- Weekend Reflections … on a very good day. (wisenapkin.com)
- Simple Beginnings (tuesdaysdead.wordpress.com)
I think it’s not so surprising amongst Christians because Jesus came to save sinners and so more sinners go to Church…They need salvation but it must take time!That’s why we have Confession/Or maybe people who go to Church are from lower social classes and so are short of cash?I always found rich people avoid tax and so on regardless of religion.
Maybe “trying “to be good is counterproductive!
I’m not sure about Jews….I knew a lot at work and they were all more than honest.Also they seem more intelligent…. after all they invented the alphabet writing,story telling,ethics,morals,poetry…..God!Why should they steal?
Now don’t blame me…read the research!
- Study: Religious more likely to lie for financial gain – Salon.com (uglicoyote.wordpress.com)
- Are Religious People More Likely to Lie? (ivoter.net)
- Religious Elites (holdingforthhisword.wordpress.com)
- Jesus Didn’t Hang Out! (unrestrainedimagination.wordpress.com)
- Study: Religious People Among Those More Likely to Lie for Financial Gain (blackchristiannews.com)
- You Can’t Be a Cultural Jew without being Cultured (dkquotes.wordpress.com)
- Report: Jewish American Identity Has Shifted (usnews.com)
- Turkish Jews Begin to Leave (commentarymagazine.com)
- A Jew is a Jew is a Jew…or is he? (whollytrue.wordpress.com)
- British Jews – liberal, secular and not so shul-going (thejc.com)
From Paul Gordon
“In particular, Levinas argued that ethics is responsibility for the other, that this responsibility precedes knowledge and, moreover, has nothing whatsoever to do with reciprocity, that is I do not do something in order to get something in return. Furthermore, Levinas argued, it is this ethical responsibility which constitutes me as a subject, it is the meaning of my subjectivity. Ethics, in the very particular sense that Levinas gives it, is at the heart of psychotherapy,”
Gordon, Paul (2012-12-15). Face to Face (Kindle Locations 585-589). Paul Gordon. Kindle Edition.
- Creating an Ethical Environment (daisy12andrews12.wordpress.com)
- The Degradation of Ethics (larvalsubjects.wordpress.com)
- “God and the Other” Symposium: Part 1 (churchandpomo.typepad.com)
- The Problem of Pathology in Ethics (larvalsubjects.wordpress.com)
- The Whore of Academia (thesouthernpraxis.org)
- Book review: Levinas and James (iupress.typepad.com)
I am a woman over the age of sixty.My hair has fallen out not to mention my teeth.Yet.I still enjoy learning,talking and seeing new perspectives.I h ave been advised not to put my photograph on the Internet . If you want to see a photo of a woman can you get friendly with, please look elsewhere.I am looking for people who like books and ideas and humor.I am not looking for love online.I don’t believe it is possible or wise for me
This blog is about thoughts, writers,books,humor and related topics .As and when I discover writing I feel is worth sharing I will share it here
After a short time I seem to have gone into philosophical issues more than I imagined and it has proved hard work.I shall return to books again of a different type.I think it’s the people who interest me…trying to imagine what it was like in Germany in the 1930′s and wondering what I would have done.~Yes,people fascinate me.Sometimes I think education can be a bad thing unless it’s very high quality.We learn a little and grow conceited.We believe we know everything and can tell others what to think,This worries me about even University education in Britain now.
I am also veering into ethics and into the interface between being an intellectual who thinks and being someone who considers the impact on our personal and inner life of the issues I come across.And how even thinking can be bad for you!True of feeling too sometimes.So which part of us decides on where the line should be drawn?
When we say someone is a great thinker,what do we mean?And can someone be a great thinker about some aspects of life,the world,society,philosophy and a very poor thinker in other aspects?Naturally I am thinking about Heidegger.Greatly admired,influential and a tutor to the likes of Hanna Arendt.
We could say he did us a service in reminding us that not even a great philosopher is always a good judge of society,politics and new ideas.Moreover,he must have shut his eyes to the attacks on Jewish people across Germany….How can this be?I hear someone saying,thinking is not enough if it is restricted to what is safe to think about.Character,ethical status,love of humanity seem to be absent from some of our academics and scholars.And how much more is that likely when our Universities are run as profit making businesses where the number of citations you receive is the measure of your work’s worth…. so noone may ever read it yet if you ask all your colleagues,friends and contacts to cite you then success and acclaim await.Meanwhile society crumbles,the poor are punished and old made anxious.
Re Hannah Arendt [ Wikipedia’
In 2012 a German film titled Hannah Arendt was released, directed by Margarethe von Trotta, and with Barbara Sukowa in the role of Arendt. The film concentrates on the Eichmann trial, and the controversy caused by Arendt’s book, which at the time was WIDELY MISUNDERSTOOD as defending Eichmann and blaming Jewish leaders for the Shoa/Holocaust
Some people keep birds as pets.To me it seems so cruel… a bird should fly.I suppose making any animal a pet may be wrong but some want to be.Dogs and cats no doubt were better off living near humans… so they moved closer.And the Egyptians worshipped cats .Some people treat their spouse like a pet.But it’s a bad idea.People may enjoy it at first but no-one can be the propertyof someone else however benevolent.Control is not loving even if you shower them with gifts,caresses and kisses.We need to belong but also to be free….to a reasonable extent….I know some people get sexually aroused by games of dominance and submission but it’s not good to be like that all time,in my view.I know books like Fifty shades of grey sell.But why do we need others fantasies?Why not use our own minds?
- Pets, pets everywhere~ (shannahall67.wordpress.com)
- Completed Pets, or is it? (infiinity.wordpress.com)
- Comment: When cuteness kills (sbs.com.au)
- Where pets are part of every workday (politico.com)
- Everything in live come in cycles, even your dog walker. (tailwaggersdogwalkersblog.wordpress.com)
- Fun way to explore the timeless isle! (pet required) (ownedcore.com)