In the USA and in the UK we find fewer people are studying the humanities.Here it is because of the economic climate.. people wish to study “useful” subjects.Literature won’t get you a job,perhaps.It only enables you to live better.Already in schools the study of Greek and Latin has almost gone.
Economics still gets students………. odd considering that economists did not forecast the recession but were up to their necks in mathematical models.Economicis not a science and cannot be.I believe it’s a branch of philosophy in a broad sense.
I admit I did not study what we called “The Arts” at University but most of my friends did.But I read poetry.I liked Auden greatly.I read all the great novels.I read Doris Lessing and Iris Murdoch.I read Evelyn Waugh/I even read Nabokov…. what a writer!And I read Shakespeare Plays.
But with the much higher fees,recession and other worries,fewer students will spend three years studying the humanities.Plumbing or Carpentry are better options
I am thinking of writing some new plays.
A Fit Plumber’s Nightly Schemes
Ham to let.
Make up for the Mind
A Midsummer Balls Up.
Please defreeze me,let me grow.
A man without limits
Much Ado about Hacking.
As you Recycle it.
Julius Seized the Emails.
Fool Us and Squeeze Us.
Hacked to Death.
The Blaming of the Guru,
- Are you a good reader? Take Nabokov’s quiz. (michiganderspost.com)
- The benefits of multilingual education (tech.mit.edu)
- Literature in Digital Humanity (dh101.ch)
- Susan Sontag on Literature and Freedom (brainpickings.org)
- Task #2: The Scholarly Conversation (scsmith143.wordpress.com)
- Bill Martin- A Champion of Children’s Literature (vastimaginations.wordpress.com)
- Nabokov, part 2: The Answers and the Grand Experiement (michiganderspost.com)
- Hard-Core Literature Course (clarissasblog.com)
- I Never Speak Metaphorically (lareviewofbooks.org)
- Other National Literatures (cwlgroup4project.wordpress.com)