We were told when Robert the Bruce was in prison he survived by studying a spider creating its webs,It consoled him.So the spider helped him but was hardly a pet.First it was totally independent and more important,insects don’t have faces.They have eyes but no expression.And they are too small.A cat may feel like a baby…but a fly will not
Which makes me think we love animals and even birds because we can detect a personality or imagine we do…….we can ascribe feelings and love to them.Perhaps we make them into mini human beings?
As insects are so different and smaller generally,as they are cold blooded,they seem too different to become pets.I have been known to address a spider as I help it out of the bath but I can’t distinguish that one from another.With cats,even when they are the same color,we can recognise their eyes,And they are very aware of our feelings…and wish to comfort.
But with insects we can get benefit by see how different they are and studying their lives .Ants are very kind to each other and carry a damaged ant back to the nest,for examplle.So they can provide food for thought..
- Insects are important (helpfulinvisiblebugs.wordpress.com)
- Beautiful Insects Encyclopedia: Meet the Insects (igamemom.com)
- Landscape Confidential: Tracking insects (vtdigger.org)
- Ants More Closely Related to Bees Than Wasps: Insect Evolution Uncovered (scienceworldreport.com)
- World’s Insect Leaders Attend G20,000,000,000 Summit (theonion.com)
- Assassin Bug (goingtoseedinzone5.wordpress.com)
- Tips on Treating Insect Bites in Children (focusonkidspeds.wordpress.com)
- This is Not a Troll, Just One of the Coolest Planthopper Insects You’ll Ever See (techeblog.com)